Monday, October 12, 2015

5 Minutes in October: Storm

Storm

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

[Chorus:]
And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

Storms come. Sometimes they are predicted long in advance and we wait and watch them with trepidation wondering when they will hit, where they will hit, how badly we'll be hurt, how much we'll lose, how long it will last. Sometimes they come up suddenly out of no where and seem to destroy everything.

Last month in GAs we read the story of a storm that came up in the middle of the sea and the bunch of experienced fishermen on the ship were afraid. They went and woke Jesus who told the storm to stop and His followers were amazed, "Who is this guy?? Even the wind and waves obey Him!"

Often it's not weather related storms that affect us but storms of trials of various kinds. I've often felt like the writer of that song talks about wondering why God hasn't come through yet. At that point I get to make a choice to get angry and all bent out of shape or to trust Him in my storms knowing that storms are allowed into my life by an all knowing God who loves me, is with me, and knows what is best for me. I'm getting quicker at choosing the later but it's still not easy.

One thing that has helped with my perspective is this quote I first read in a Calm my Anxious Heart.
In time of trouble, say, "First, he brought me here. It is by his will I am in this strait place; in that I will rest." Next, "He will keep me here in his love, and give me grace in this trial to behave as his child." Then say, "He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me lessons he intends me to learn, and working in me the grace he means to bestow." And last, say, "In his good time he can bring me out again. How and when, he knows." Therefore, say, "I am here (1) by God's appointment, (2) in his keeping, (3) under his training, (4) for his time." ~Andrew Murray.

It's my signature line so I get to see it often as a reminder that God is good and He is in control. Even in the storms. For His glory and my good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!