Sunday, October 11, 2015

5 Minutes in October: Rest

Rest

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (‭Matthew‬ ‭11‬:‭28-30‬)

Taking time to rest is not something necessarily looked favorably upon in our culture.

If someone says they are going to take a nap often they are met with a "must be nice" response implying that there is no way for the hearer to conceive of having a nap because they are way too busy. We fill our lives and our schedules to overflowing because that us what is expected of us but is it necessary?

A couple of months ago we had a discussion about this idea of rest and the importance of it at small group. Talking about it was freeing and I've taken more Sunday afternoon naps over the weeks since than I have over many of the previous years combined. I do not need to fill every waking hour. It is good and healthy to stop, take a break, reflect, and rest.

I'm slowly trying to put it into practice. Speaking of which, I should go take a nap. It is Sunday after all. Lesson plans can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!