Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sandy...

Sandy. I keep hearing that name. I keep seeing that name. It's all over the news. It's not a scary name. I am reminded of that part my kids love in Monsters Vs Aliens when Bob asks what people yell when they see Susan and she says, "Susan." Then Bob says, "Suuuuusan. AH! I just scared myself."  Sandy's not all that scary of a name but at this point it is causing dread in many a heart. Causing many to go and clear the grocery stores of milk, bread, and toilet paper. Causing many to make sure they have their "72 hour survival kit" ready. "Hurricane Sandy Coming to Batter the East Coast - Be Prepared!"

Whenever I hear and see the name though my mind goes back to a special Sandy - my mom. I don't know that her name caused many people fear. I think that many, kids and parents alike, rejoiced when they heard that Sandy (AKA Mrs. Nelson) was going to be their teacher. Many looked forward to spending time with her and having the opportunity to learn from her be it at school, in Sunday School, Jet Cadets, or Sparks, or at various Gideon functions that she spoke at. She was a woman of wisdom and she loved people. I'm so thankful that I had the privilege of spending as much time with her as I did.

Hearing her name all the time lately has prompted me to think of her more. I've laughed with God as I have thought more than once, "Sandy isn't in the Atlantic getting ready to destroy the East Coast. She is in heaven praising Jesus!"
 This afternoon I dug the program from her funeral out from the back of my Bible. Looking over the words of some of her favorite songs reminded me once again of her love for her Savior, "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee," "Living for Jesus a Life that is True," "My Hope is in the Lord," and "Christ in me is to Live, to Die is to Gain." These songs characterized her life. She had many challenges in her life but her hope was in Jesus and she had joy because her eyes were on Him.

At her funeral Glenn got to read Psalm 46, one of her favorites. I think that it is appropriate to read at this time with this hurricane bearing her name coming closer:
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging [or a hurricane causes destruction, flooding and power outages].
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see what the Lord has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire.
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Thanks, God, for this reminder that, no matter what difficult things may come my way, You are my Refuge and Strength.  Thank You that I don't have to fear because You are in control and You are with me.

Taste and see that the Lord is good;  
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!