Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Yay! It's the last day of October!!

This year I decided that I'd try The Nester's 31 day writing challenge. I didn't do it "right." I didn't make a cute button (like these) to put on each post. I didn't write all I could on one topic to help people or improve myself everyday for a month to exhaust the topic to it's deepest reaches (this sounds painful to me - something I would like to do in the future - but painful.) I didn't link up  on The Nester's link-up page.

What I did do was write a post every day and here is a top 10 list of things I learned along the way:

1. Blogging everyday is really hard
2. Blogging takes a lot of time
3. I really need to read through my posts more than once - grammar, spelling and wording errors abound.
4. Blogging daily is not really for me - I'm a slow processor and even with just mostly writing words for pictures for my "31 Days of Flashbacks" it took too much time away from my husband and kids. I think they are glad today's the last day too.
5. I really like the schedule your blog feature - you can write whenever and then have it post to your blog when you want it to. This is especially helpful if you're going away for the weekend or have a few extra minutes on a day before a day you know you won't get to the computer.
6. I learned that if, on accident, you have a post open on one computer and it stops connecting to the Internet so you then open and finish and post it on another computer so you can go to bed when you go back to the first computer to do something the next day and it starts connecting to the Internet again it will revert your post that you've already posted and people have already read to a draft at the point you last were working on it on that original computer. Hit "save" and "close" before walking away from any post! (by the way Glenn is my hero in this one - he had read my post and had a cached copy on his computer so I was able to copy and paste the words back in to re-post it - thank you Glenn!!)
7. One reason I'm glad I did it was because I got to post about many things that I've wanted to post about but never got around to. It was fun looking back at great times we've had as a family and it will be fun to look back over these posts in the future.
8. I'm especially glad to have finally finished up our train trip journal.
9. I'm so glad it's the last day of October.
10. I'm looking forward to going back to being a "What's Working Wednesday," "Five Minute Friday," and occasional "I really want to remember this fun family activity" or "I want to know where that great recipe is" or "I really need to process this so I'm going to blog about it and maybe it will help someone else" type of blogger for now.

Though it was hard, I'm glad I did it. Will I do it again next year? I have no idea. I guess that depends on many of the too many unknowns out there in our future. We'll just have to wait and see. For this year, I did it and I'm done - hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!