Thursday, October 25, 2012

What's Working Wednesday: Psalm Countdown

What's Working Wednesday is my weekly post to showcase something that is working for me or my family at the moment. It may not work for us forever and it may or may not work for you.

It is often helpful, when you are waiting for something that you have to wait a long time for, to have something purposeful to do every day. When we were counting down the days before our wedding someone had suggested that, once we got to 150 days before our wedding, we start counting down by reading through the book of Psalms backwards. It was a fun, meaningful thing to do together. Sometimes we would read it together over the phone, sometimes we would just read it alone and then email each other about it, when we could we would read it together in person (but since he spent most of that summer in misery Missouri and I spent most of it in New York we weren't able to read it together often).

Right now we are awaiting March 15, Match Day, the day we finally find out where we are going for residency. It is 141 days away. I have a countdown on the right sidebar of my blog to help me keep track.  Starting a little over a week ago Glenn and I started reading backwards through the book of Psalms together. The daily reminder to praise God and keep our eyes on Him when stress levels are high has been very helpful. (Side note: I am SO grateful for a date, not a unknown waiting time this time!)

I don't remember who first suggested doing a Psalm Countdown to us but I am very thankful for the idea and have suggested it to many others over the years.

What are you waiting for? What helps you while you are waiting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!