Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Sewing 101

First this is a guest post because I don't know where else to post this and thought it was too fun to not post.

So I have been looking at sewing machines for some time as I have found many different projects that I thought were neat and useful but couldn't make because I didn't have access to a sewing machine. So I finally bit the bullet and bought a machine that I have been looking at for over a month. So here is a post about my new sewing machine and my first sewing project since home economics with Brenda Anderson.


The "new" sewing machine. My guess is it is about 60 years old



A demonstration of why I made my first sewing project.
(Notice tie draping on patient)


Oh, no that tie is now in this poor sick patient's face


Now with the first sewing project in place. Look how well behaved that tie is.


Here is a picture of the project. It is salvaged from a shirt I ruined during internal medicine when I put my pen in not capped :-( I got the idea from this site during a rotation this summer but didn't have a machine to make it until now. All I really did was add some seams to the top where I cut it out of the shirt and added a hem to the edge that was on the inside of the shirt. It isn't pretty but it is functional as the picture above proves and I got to make sure the new to me machine worked (at least straight stitching and simple zig-zag work.)



One last picture for the archives. The tie is on her face completely I'm listening to her nose with my stethoscope. She was freaking out saying
"How many peoples' faces has this tie been on?"


Which is due to this ad from who knows when.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!