Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Very Favorite and Very Least Favorite Part of Moving so Often

We move. Often. I have been thinking today about my very favorite and very least favorite part of moving so often. It turns out it is the same thing: PEOPLE!

There so many fabulous, inspiring, life-changing people that we have met in the many places that we have lived. These people have taught me so much and have blessed me far beyond what I could ever deserve in my relationships with them. I could go on forever about people I never would have met if I had we not moved. My life is forever changed as a result of people I have met and relationships I have formed in the short time I have lived various places. For that reason I am glad for all the places that we have lived and all the people that I have met in them. Meeting new people and forming relationships with them is something I love about moving.

On the flip side, though, my very least favorite part of moving so often is people. When you move often you have to say "good bye." Often. I am not a very good long distance friend. I'll pray for you, try to follow you on facebook, and may occasionally shoot you an email or even more rarely (just saying - it probably won't happen) give you a phone call or come and visit. I hate saying good bye. I hate that there are so many people I wish were still in my daily, weekly, or even monthly life that aren't. I have come to accept that this is just a part of my life.

Since moving to Lowville we have been full disclosure. In your first conversation with us you will find out that we are only going to be here until the end of January. You will then ask where we are going after that and you will get an answer that people who have known us longer have come to expect, "We don't exactly know but God does." We have some ideas of what we may be doing in February to June of next year but we really don't know for sure.

Being honest about how long we'll be here helps to give people an out, a reason not to become friends with us. We also desperately want friends though so we may, selfishly, become friends with you even if you don't like the idea that becoming friends with us means saying good bye soon. I hope that you don't regret the time you have spent with us, no matter how long or short that time is. I have learned that relationships, no matter how long they last, are worth it.

Thank you for being my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!