Saturday, January 03, 2009

Hawaiian Haystacks

Last night we had Hawaiian Haystacks for supper. It is one of our favorite meals and I am often asked for the recipe so... here it is!

The sauce can be made two ways, I usually use the 2nd way b/c it has less salt but the first way is easier so I will give you both:

Sauce option #1:
2 (10 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
1C chicken broth
2C diced cooked chicken
Stir together in a pan and simmer until heated through

Sauce option #2:
Saute 1 onion chopped (and optional 1/2 green pepper) in 1/4C margarine or chicken fat skimmed from broth until soft.
Add: 1/4C flour. Stir and cook until bubbly.
Add: 2C chicken broth, 1C milk, and salt & pepper to taste.
Cook stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
Add: 2-3C diced cooked chicken (and optional 1T chopped parsley)
Heat through.

At the table have bowls of:
chow mein noodles
diced tomatos
chopped celery
chopped green peppers
chopped green onions
pineapple chunks
shredded cheddar cheese
slivered almonds
coconut

Let everyone stack their own toppings on the base of rice and chicken gravy - yum! Everyone gets to eat only what they like! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! I was going to be asking for it so I can check that off my mental list! :) Loved your 08 update, and all your posts! I love the chaos peace line as well. great reminder of God's power in chaos! Hope you and your fam are well and thanks for the new recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!