Sunday, January 04, 2009

Family

Right now Glenn's parents are visiting us which is so much fun. We have only seen them once a year for the last three years around Christmas time and the kids are loving their time with Grandma & Grandpa. We aren't around family much, mine more than his because mine is closer, so we try to make the most of the little snippets we do have with family. God has really been impressing me lately though of the fact that, though I do not have blood family that I see often I am so blessed to have "family" close by. Last month at Vertical Worship during communion Brad Files was talking about how he is closer to some people that he has absolutely nothing in common with besides being a fellow follower of Christ than people that went to the same school, like the same movies, do the same job, etc. I have been thinking about that a lot lately. I love that about the family of Christ. Every Sunday I feel like I am going to a family party when I go to church. I am always excited to go to church, not just because I know that I am going to be fed spiritually and get to serve but I get to see people that I love and that love me and my family. I am not related to anyone that goes to North but am closer to many people there than people I am related to.

I don't get out much but last night, since Glenn's parents were here, I decided to go with Glenn to the last night of work party for another one of his co-workers who is leaving his floor. Sitting there I was struck once again with how thankful I am for North and for Glenn and for being part of the family of Christ. God has shown me again and again that no matter where He lands us or for how long He will provide all that we need and one of my needs is a support system. Everywhere that we have lived that has not been near family He has provided family for us at our church, first at Highland Park Baptist, then Fillmore Wesleyan and now North Baptist. I can think of special families that have adopted us like the Francis family in Chattanooga, the Hahns, Cronks, Deans, Masts, Nafzigers, Keelers/Woodards and many other families that we became part of when we lived in Houghton and here our small groups and so many others that have had an impact on our lives. I love having adopted families. I am so blessed. Besides having people that I am related to by blood and by marriage we have countless families that have invited us to be a part of their lives that are as close as, or closer than "real" family. I guess that I don't really know where I was going with this but if you are one of those people I just wanted to say how thankful I am for you. My life is so much better because God has brought you into our lives. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!