Thursday, June 26, 2008

New Information

Psalm 143 “Hear my prayer, O Lord; answer my plea, because you are faithful to your promises… I remember the glorious miracles you did in days of long ago. I reach out for you. I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain. Come quickly, Lord, and answer me, for my depression deepens; don’t turn from me or I shall die. Let me see your kindness to me in the morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for my prayer is sincere… Help me to do your will, for you are my God. Lead me in good paths, for your Spirit is good….”
What a comfort the Psalms have been lately! Our God is so good! He is faithful through His Word and through friends and circumstances to give us just what we need when we need it. Hallelujah.
June has been a rough month. I am glad that it is drawing to a close. For those of you who don’t know my (Sonja’s) dad passed away on June 3rd. I have blogged about it (see post entitled ‘Dancing on Two Good Legs’) if you want to know more about that. I am so happy for him but I miss him. It is hard not having either of my parents anymore but I know that God will provide the guidance I need and He is a Father to the fatherless.
Throughout the month of June we have been longing to hear back from the University of Rochester School of Medicine that Glenn has been accepted for a seat in the class of 2012. Yesterday we got a letter from them informing us that though they felt he was very well qualified they were not going to be able to give him a seat because the waiting list was not moving and enough seats were not going to open up. It hurts. We really wanted to stay here in Rochester for so many reasons but we know that our God who provided so much for us here will provide all we need where ever He leads us.
What is next? Well, our lease is up at the end of July but we have some beloved friends from our community group at church who have graciously offered to let us bunk at their home for a short time. We are waiting to hear back from Ross University School of Medicine (on Dominica in the Caribbean) to find out if he can get in there for the September class or if we will have to wait until January. We are assuming that he will get in there but God is able to close that door for us as well if that is His will. Then what? We don’t know.
Right now we are sorting and packing our stuff. We have too much stuff. I am not sure what we will bring with us or how much luggage we will be allowed. I am pretty certain that we will only be bringing with us what we can fit in our suitcases (which hopefully we will be allowed 12 of). God is teaching me to hold loosely to stuff and that I am too materialistic.
Praises:
* that we no longer have to wonder if we are staying in Rochester.
* God’s faithfulness and how He comforts us through His Word and our friends.
* the Lishawas are willing to let us move in with them temporarily.
* our wonderful community group who has been providing meals occasionally and lots of love and support – we are going to miss them!
* I don’t have to worry about missing my dad’s funeral while I am out of the country.
Prayer Requests:
* Acceptance to Ross (we would prefer to get into the September class but it may not be until January.)
* wisdom about what to take, what to keep, and what to get rid of.
* Family unity and growth as we start this new adventure together.
* Time management and wisdom getting everything done that needs to get done in the time before we go.
* a place to store our “keep” stuff.
*24 gallon Action packers (a plastic Rubbermaid container, really strong and lockable. These will be our luggage if we can find them at an affordable price.)
If you want to keep up with what is up with the Maas family you can now subscribe to our blog on the right hand side where it says “Subscribe to The Maas Update by Email”. We will try to update it often.
In closing I wanted to share the prayer from the end of an email that I got yesterday:
Dear Heavenly Father, I praise You for being completely trustworthy. Thank You for having my best interest at heart, even when the path to obedience seems scary. Help me to take the next step of faith, even when I don’t see where I’m going. I will choose to trust You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Thank you for your prayers and support through this time.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your blog Sonja. I have just been finding it so encouraging how you are my 'mentor in trusting the Lord' for all the unknowns and waiting. Praying for your family during this time!! Can't wait to hear where your adventures take you...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!