Friday, September 07, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Graceful

I have never been a graceful person. I trip over my own feet on a regular basis. I am not a ballerina so I guess that being graceful as I move really isn't all that important.

I do want to be a grace-full person though. A person full of grace.

Whenever I think of the word "grace" I automatically think:
G-od's
R-iches
A-t
C-hrist's
E-xpense

That is how I have always remembered the difference between grace and mercy. Grace - unmerited favor - getting what I don't deserve. The biggest is Jesus' blood that covers my sin. Mercy - not getting what I do deserve. Most importantly not getting eternal separation from God.

There has been a lot of talk recently in things that I have read about grace. Giving yourself and others grace when you and they mess up. Living out the gospel.

I am so thankful for God's grace. I've been doing a study with my Hello Mornings group on 1 Peter and I've been reminded that "grace and peace... in fullest measure" (1:2) can only be found in Jesus. Peter writes his whole letter about the grace of God and then challenges us to "Stand firm in it!" (5:12). That is what I want to do.

And... of course... the word for the week made me think of a song. This week it is Andrew Peterson's Chasing Song. Here are part of the lyrics:
Now and then these feet just take to wandering
Now and then I prop them up at home
Sometimes I think about the consequences
Sometimes I don't

Well, I realize that falling down ain't graceful

But I thank the Lord that falling's full of grace
Sometimes I take my eyes off Jesus
And you know that's all it takes

Well I wish that I could say that at the close of every day

I was happy with the way that I'm behaving

'Cause Job, he chased an answer

The wise men chased the Child
Jacob chased her 14 years and he
Captured Rachel's smile
Moses chased the Promised Land
Joseph chased a dream
David, he chased God's own heart
All I ever seem to chase is me
How I need to chase God's own heart because only as I spend time with Him will I become graceful like He is.

Today I'm linking up with Inspired to Action for Hello Mornings and The Gypsy Mama for Five Minute Friday. Two for one in one 5 minute post :)

HelloMornings

Five Minute Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!