Friday, September 14, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Focus


"Two women looked through prison bars
One saw mud, the other stars." *

It is amazing the difference what you focus on makes. You always find what you are looking for. If you are looking for all the things that are wrong in your life you will be sure to find lots of them. If, on the other hand, you are purposefully looking for the good things in your life you will be sure to find them too.

Trials are things that we all go through. They are (as I was reminded this week in 1 Peter 1:6) necessary. If I focus on how difficult my trial and how difficult my life is I get bogged down and depressed. If, instead, I turn my eyes above and take God at His Word that He is going to use these trials like losing my parents, moving 17 times in 13 years, and the smaller trials I face every day for my good which ultimately means making me more like Jesus (Rom. 8:28-29), I can use my trials to give praise, glory and honor to God. 

I have learned that I can not always control my circumstances but I can control what I focus on. As a result I can be joyful regardless of my circumstances. It is a choice. A choice I must make every moment of every day.

 * I first read this quote in Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow, one of my favorite books of all time.

Linking up for 5 Minute Friday with Lisa-Jo. Join me?
Five Minute Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!