Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Things to do when you're supposed to be packing

This morning while I was making breakfast I decided to make up a list of things I've used to procrastinate packing. Here are 10 of them, in no particular order.

1. Cook everything in your freezer.
As a general rule we treat meat as a condiment around here (something we've always done but I've recently found a phrase for how we eat from Family Feasts for $75 a Week that I checked out from the library). Towards the end of the time we live in a place the percentage of meat in a meal goes up extensively. We often call it living like kings. One thing I've done the last couple of days is cook up all the food in the freezer so I could pack my pots and pans. I think that this is the best I've ever done at emptying the freezer before a move!
2. Find a good series and read every book from it that your library
system has.

This is something that I normally do and I thought I might this time too as the newest book from a series I had been reading arrived at our library. The book just didn't grip me though so I didn't end up reading it. I have been scanning 168 Hours and Pretty Neat. I won't be able to finish either of them but I've gotten some good ideas.
3. Go on outings with fellow homeschoolers
Over the last few weeks we've gone to the zoo, the Ithaca Sciencenter, Highland Forest, Chuck E Cheese, Ryder Park, Freedom Train at the Landmark Theater. I actually turned down an offer to go to the Rochester Museum and Science Center yesterday because I didn't think it would be the best use of my time with all the packing I still needed to do.
4. Play games on your computer or handheld device.
Draw Something has been the game of choice for most family members this time. It is super fun. I've also played too much Gemz.
5. Take a nap.
Some nasty sinus something has attacked me this week and all I want to do is sleep. Thankfully I'm feeling better today.
6. Sit on the porch and sort through magazines.
I'm glad that the weather has gotten worse this week because it was SO HARD to stay inside and pack last week. I did get through my magazines, cut out a few things that I want to try, and recycled the rest.
7. Eat
For some reason when we're moving my family still expects to eat regular meals and preparing regular meals takes time! When we're moving I usually leave whatever random food that I want to get rid of on the table for the roaming hungry people. Moving makes me want to eat so I bought extra pretzels and baby carrots because they are easy and semi-healthy.
8. Blog
Glenn laughs because, not so much this time but, my blogs often are more frequent in coming when I am supposed to be packing.
9. Play outside with the kids
Again, that weather last week was wonderful and horrible at the same time.
10. Do school
Last week I was trying to do school with the kids and pack and I really didn't do either well. I was reminded of that verse in James about a double minded man being unstable in all he does. This week I decided that we'd take the week off. An extra week into June isn't going to kill us.

In other news, today I found out that we are living on the right hand side of the duplex (yay! we don't have to knock on both doors and wonder which one is ours!) and internet won't be hooked up until 4/10. I guess that will give me lots of time to unpack without the distraction of the world wide web ;)


Caleb's bedroom has been over-run with bikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!