Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Mississippi Mud

Every year around this time I start to scramble. "Oh no! Where is that recipe??" I cry. I always like to make Mississippi Mud for Glenn's birthday (which is today!) but I don't know what happened to the recipe card that his mom gave me when we first got married. Years ago I typed it up and put it in a cookbook that I compiled with some other young wives back when we were at Houghton but I have the hardest time finding the thing because it is just a stack of 8.5x11 pieces of paper folded together. Well today after a bit of a scramble again I found the recipe and I am recording it here so I don't have to scramble again next year :)

Mississippi Mud
1C butter
2C sugar
1/4 C dry cocoa
4 eggs, beaten
1t vanilla
1/2t salt
2t baking powder
1 1/2C flour
13 oz jar marshmallow fluff or 2-3C mini marshmallows
Mud:
Cream sugar, butter and cocoa. Add eggs. Stir. Mix in dry ingredients and vanilla. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until toothpick comes out almost clean. Sprinkle marshmallows or spread marshmallow cream over the top of hot cake. Return to oven for 2 minutes.
Frosting:
Combine ingredients and stir well. Pour over mud while still hot.
1/4C dry cocoa
1/2C melted butter
4C powdered sugar
1/2C evaporated milk
1t vanilla

This is super yummy. It is great hot but it is also great the next day after it has spent the night in the fridge. Yum! The kids look forward to Glenn's birthday for this treat :)

Happy birthday my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!