Friday, March 25, 2011

I Love Thursdays

I always look forward to Thursdays because I finally get to spend a few minutes with Glenn. Once the week starts it feels like we don't see each other. He's been catching a ride in to school with a friend who picks him up at 6:30 so mornings are kind of out of the question. Monday nights we have small group so we spend much of the evening at the same place but we don't really get a chance to talk and then we get home late and have to put the kids to bed and get whatever we didn't get done during the day done and collapse. Tuesdays are one of Glenn's long days at school. He has class all day then a meeting from 5-6pm. After his meeting we either get him or he gets a ride home and we scarf dinner before I leave for flute choir at 7. Wednesdays this semester he has had an evening class that usually goes late and he usually just stays at school and comes home after it. This week he didn't get home until about 11. Thursday evenings I feel like we can finally breathe and somewhat be a family. This week he had a meeting until after 7 and we had a play to go to at 7 that one of our neighbors was in. When we got home and finally saw Glenn (the kids hadn't seen him since Tuesday night when they went to bed) it felt like we had gone through Glenn withdrawal and we just needed to be with him. It was nice to spend some time with him last night just chatting after not seeing him for a couple of days. That is why I always look forward to Thursdays. I know that this is just a season and that things will be "worse" at times in our near future. Soon he won't be able to be home studying where we can go in and pester him or just be with him because he'll have to be at the schospital but I am thankful for Thursdays right now. I think that this week was worse because it was one of the busiest weeks that Glenn has had this year and we had him whenever we wanted him last week because it was spring break. I have no idea how my military wife friends and friends who have husbands who travel often for work do it.

Next week is going to be another busy one. I am often tempted to not invest in my marriage during this season because we are both so busy but I know that that is not right. I listened to a two part Focus on the Family broadcast with Linda Dillow this week that was excellent. I don't usually re-listen to them, just listen then delete the mp3 after listening but this one was a keeper and I am going to have to listen to it again when I can sit down and write stuff down. She said that it would be easier to just not work at your marriage during these difficult years when you are so busy with young kids and work and stuff, to "put it off 10 years until life gets easier" but the chances are, if you do that, you won't have much of a relationship if any at that point. I've done too much of the "later, when life gets easier" thinking regarding our marriage and it has not been helpful. I need to invest now so that we will have a good marriage later. I am also reading Margin by Dr Richard Swenson (it is free right now for Kindle) and I've (re)come to the realization that life is not going to get easier. It is just going to get different. I have to make the choices to step back from the 500mph pace and spend time doing what really matters and one of the things that matters most is spending time with my dear husband. So, I am thankful for Thursdays. I am going to try to be more intentional about our 9:30 dates and Thursdays because my doctor to be is my best friend and I want him to know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!