Friday, June 08, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Expectation

"My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him." Psalm 62:5

I laughed when I searched my blog for the word "expectations." There are already 2 blogs with "Expectations" as the title and several others that have the word expectations in it. I guess I have struggled with my expectations in the past.

Tonight we went to the drive-in theater and watched Madagascar 3 with the kids. Glenn told me that when he read a review on it to decide whether or not we should go that the reviewer said he put his expectations about as high as a pig can fly or something like that. I thought that that was cute and pretty accurate of my expectations going in. My expectations were pretty low but it turned out to be a cute movie.

Sometimes I put my expectations low and am pleasantly surprised or at least not disappointed. Sometimes I put my expectations high and I am unintentionally hurt.

One thing that I have learned is that I need to surrender my expectations and give the circumstances of my life over to the only One who knows what will happen and why it will happen. Which made me think of a song I love, Psalm 62 by Aaron Keyes:
My soul finds rest in God alone, My Rock and my salvation,
A fortress strong against my foes, And I will not be shaken.
Though lips may bless and hearts may curse, And lies like arrows pierce me,
I’ll fix my heart on righteousness, I’ll look to Him who hears me.

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my Reward;
Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God.

Find rest, my soul, in God alone
Amid the world’s temptations;
When evil seeks to take a hold
I’ll cling to my salvation.
Though riches come and riches go,
Don’t set your heart upon them;
The fields of hope in which I sow
Are harvested in heaven.

I’ll set my gaze on God alone,
And trust in Him completely;
With every day pour out my soul,
And He will prove His mercy.
Though life is but a fleeting breath,
A sigh too brief to measure,
My King has crushed the curse of death
And I am His forever.

O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah, hallelujah,
O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah, hallelujah,
O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah! hallelujah!
 Want to write for 5 Minutes on Expectations? Link up with the Gypsy Mama here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!