Sunday, August 09, 2009

Adventures in Homelessness Part 2

When out and about with our kids we often hear the words, "Can we go home?" "When can we go home?" "Do we have to go home?" Now when we hear those questions a discussion ensues: "What do you mean home?" "We don't have a home." "Do you mean our van?" "Do you mean Moby's house? (or Levi's? or Puccio's?)" "But it is home because my stickers are at that house." (meaning our sublet) This week we spent Monday and Tuesday night at Chris & Miranda's (Levi's) house then we visited Russ and Camy on our way back to Syracuse to house sit for Matt & Christina (Moby) from Wednesday until today. We looked at some houses on Thursday and put an offer on our favorite one that we have seen so far on Friday. There has been no response as of right now on our offer so I am assuming that it is being ignored. If that is the case we should probably go and look at more houses tomorrow and put in another offer.

I must admit, I am tired of not having a place to call home. As I was thinking of that this week though I thought of my Savior. He said "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." (Matt.8:20) Jesus did not have a home but I think that He was OK with it because it gave Him the best opportunity to be used and I wonder - how can God use me during this time? I long to be available to Him.

On our way to church this morning we passed a lady at the intersection by the offramp with a sign "Two kids. Need food. Need essentials." andI thought to myself I couldn't imagine! I wished that I would have put the food that we had left over from staying here in the car already and I was reminded again of how blessed I am. We are not lacking any of the essentials or food and we are not homeless because we do not have the resources to be in a home. Part of the reason we are homeless is because we don't want to sign a years lease when there is a possibility that we might buy a home. (and not have to move for almost 4 years!!) Another part of the reason is because we are on vacation, Glenn has a break from school for over 2 weeks so we don't necessarily have to be here in Syracuse. Another part of the reason is because I am picky. We have lived so many places there are definitely things that I do and don't like in a house. Also, Glenn has been able to walk to work the last two years and I would love to not be dependent on two vehicles for at least the first two years here with Glenn walking or riding his bike to school.

We are not sure what this week holds. We have been offered the opportunity to house sit for our friends Luke and Christina in Rochester starting today until Glenn starts orientation on the 18th which sounds like so much fun but we aren't sure how much of that time we should be in Rochester and how much of that time we should camp out or sleep in our van here in Syracuse and look for a place to live. I guess I will let you know in Adventures in Homelessness Part 3 what we decide.

One thing that I do know is that I am thankful that my real home is Heaven and I "eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body." (Phil 3:20) Come quickly Lord Jesus. I also know that God is at work in my life and is using this time for my good and His glory. Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!