Monday, May 14, 2012

Morning After Reflections

This morning as I was reading the Proverb of the day a few of the verses stuck out to me:

v1. A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.

How often, because of discontentment do I tear down in this home and the lives that God has entrusted to me rather than build it up and steward all I have for His glory? 

v4. Without oxen a stable stays clean, but you need a strong ox for a large harvest.

I don't own any oxen but I do have four children who are good at making messes and this verse always prompts me to thank God for them rather than complain about the messes they make. 

v10. Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can fully share its joy.

God has entrusted every life with it's own amount of joy and bitterness. I can't walk in the pain of my childless friend or even my friend who has lost her mother because there are so many details that I'll never know and I am not in her skin. Neither can I walk in the joy of my friend who got to experience her first Mother's Day after years of barrenness. I am so thankful that God can walk with each one and comfort them and rejoice with them in ways that I never could.

Yesterday, before church, "How Great the Father's Love for Us" by Stuart Townsend was on my heart so I looked up the words and was awed at God's love for me so I wanted to post them here.


How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that left Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
(REPEAT)
~Stuart Townend

The part that stuck out to me this morning as I re-read it is the second part of the second verse: "As wounds which mar the chosen One bring many sons to glory." God has chosen to allow pain in each of our lives. It is my prayer that He will use those "wounds" in my life to bring many people to Him.Thank You, Jesus, for being wounded. Thank You, Father, for giving up Your Son. How unworthy and grateful I am that the price for my sin has been paid. May I boast in You alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!