Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Eight is Great!

Caleb turned 8 today and we had a fun day. First thing this morning after he had enjoyed his birthday cinnamon roll (here he is picking out the biggest one) he and I went to the Public Market to get veggies for supper. It was fun to go just the two of us while Glenn was home with the girls. After we got home Caleb opened a couple of gifts that we had given him (here he is with his old army t-shirt that he used to wear all the time that Hannah, Glenn, and I made into a pillow for him) then we all went to the movies to watch Charlotte's Web (the real people one) which was Caleb's pick of the free movies available at the theater this week. It was really funny. We all enjoyed it. Then we got subs from Wegmans for lunch (yum!!) and Glenn went to talk to someone about a laptop that he found on Craigslist then headed home. All three of the girls took a nap and Caleb and I

I am interrupted by announcement... Hannah just came in to tell me that they usually watch TV from the house next door after they go to bed but there is no movie on it tonight. Oh my, what else do I not know goes on around here?? :)

Where was I? Oh yeah, Caleb and I read a couple of books together and we all tried to find our house so that there was a place for people to walk around and sit down amidst all of our boxes and packing unknown stuff and started supper.

One of Caleb's best friends this year has been Will Dudley from our church so we invited his family over to enjoy his birthday supper (Hawaiian Haystacks!!) with us. Kristina Lishawa and our neighbor, "Miss Betty" came too. Chaos reigned in our house (I know, what is new?) as we had a good time with good food and good friends. Along with Hawaiian Haystacks we also had watermelon and Caleb made Strawberry Fizz (a recipe from the Redwall Cookbook that he checked out of the library). After supper and opening a few gifts we had cake and ice cream. Caleb wanted a Cars cake. He really wanted Mater on it but I could only find Lighting McQueen. I think that the cake turned out pretty cute. It was really easy too, just two circle cakes put together with melted chocolate chips brushed on for a road. He enjoyed it and my favorite part was it was shaped like an 8 for my 8 year old!

I think that he had a really fun birthday. He is such a great kid and such a great big brother. I am so proud to be his mom! I can't believe he is already 8!!

This last picture is of our kids giving Miss Betty a hug good bye. She lives in the house next door to our driveway and we often see her when we go out for walks in the park. She is a sweet little old lady whom we have grown to love as we have gotten to know her over the last few months. We are really going to miss her when we move! It is because of Betty that we have decided to adopt "grandparents" where ever we live. It has been such a blessing to get to know her and I know that the kids especially have been a blessing to her as well. We will probably never live near grandparents again but there will always be lonely older people in our neighborhood where ever we live. My little sweeties work their way into everyone's hearts and God can use us to be a blessing to our "grandparents" and I know that it will teach my kids a lot too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!