God is using this book to change my mind and my heart lately. Paul, in Philippians, talks about having learned to be content in all circumstances. I am trying to learn "to overcome my one ugly and self-destructive habit of ingratitude... with the saving habit of gratitude - that would lead me back to deep God-communion." Ann was challenged by a friend to make a list of 1000 gifts from God and doing it changed her life. She has challenged many people to do the same. I started my list of 1000 Blessings from God back in January. She has a notebook that she leaves open on her counter at home and takes with her places. I decided to write mine on the "notes" function of my iphone. I started mine January 18th, I think. I emailed 1-100 to Glenn on February 28. Today I reached 200. It has been neat to see how doing this, writing down things that God has done, given me, has helped to start to change my heart, change my attitude. On Sunday I was woken up by Hannah who told me that her sisters had both peed the bed. Instead of grumbling my first thought was, "How can I thank God in this situation?" and God gave me ways to thank Him. That is not my natural response. God is at work in my heart and I am so thankful!
On A Holy Experience there is a challenge to post from our lists, the graces we have received from God on Mondays. I think that I am going to start doing that. Today is going to be a long one. #1-200. I am not expecting anyone to read them all but they are gifts that God has given me. Some of them may not make sense but they are things that I have stopped to thank God for during these past 2 months.
1. The Word of God. It contains all I need for life and godliness. I have only skimmed the surface of the unfathomable riches contained in it. I want it to be my life long passion
2. Unexpected time with my dear friend Phoebe today sharing our recent trials and blessings.
3. Short sweet naps snuggled on great grandparents' laps today as we visited with my dad's parents for a short time this afternoon. Abigail fell asleep on Grandma and Lydia nearly fell asleep on Grandpa.
4. Time away from the kids connecting with other homeschooling moms at Panera Bread.
5. Time enjoying read alouds with the kids while we've waited for various appointments lately.
6. Glenn was cavity free at his dental appointment. (It was his first trip to the dentist since we've been married.)
7. Peppermint tea and Legos with Dawn and Jeremiah.
8. Met our neighbor Kevin when he rescued me from the snow piles.
9. Glenn got a ride home last night so I didn't have to bundle the kids out into the snow after 10 pm.
10. My three little dish washers.
11. Prayer time with Glenn.
12. A public library just a 5 minute walk away.
13. Miss Quinn - our wonderful children's librarian always ready with a smile and questions for my kids.
14. Free holds at our library. There's always a stack of books there awaiting me.
15. Sunshine brightened by clean fresh snow.
16. Pretty plants thriving under our lightbulb despite the frigid gloominess outside.
17. Lego hearts and creative kids who made them
18. Three extra little boys and three extra little girls and two extra mommies in the house for a couple hours this afternoon.
19. My laser printer scanner copier which makes it so easy to print stuff.
20. Popcorn cooked on the stovetop.
21. Chris giving Glenn rides to school so I don't have to go out early in these frigid temps.
22. A place to have quiet time with God in the mornings.
23. Lander and Powell sharing the "blanket trick" with us which makes Lego pick up so much easier.
24. My Amish drying rack - a wedding shower gift from my dad's Aunt Helen.
25. Popcorn on the floor.
26. The clinging arms of little girls during the scary parts of the movie.
27. Baked macaroni and cheese
28. There is a family moving in upstairs, not college students.
29. Watching the kids enjoy their "prizes" from the Pass-it-on Bingo potluck.
30. The girls' grateful hearts for things they got even though they didn't get what they wanted most.
31. I can't do it but God wants to and can do it through me.
32. UNO with lots of giggles.
33. Spring time smell in my livingroom.
34. Pink hyacinths
35. Peter the penguin night light and the boy so excited to have him
36. Husband laughing over Internet comics when he should be in bed
37. Grandma's crocheted blanket that covers our bed
38. A chance to have surgery to improve my hearing
39. Glenn's "ghetto lampshade"
40. Comfy clothes to wear tomorrow
41. A desk with a crank for Glenn
42. Friendly nurses with smiling faces
43. No cholesteatoma in my right ear
44. Titanium ear bones
45. Cold water handed to me by Glenn <3
46. Handmade valentines
47. This list and the joy it brings
49. Hugs from little arms
50. Lasagna from the freezer
51. Glenn walking to and from school
52. A shower with nice warm water.
53. Hawaiian pizza
54. I was the best picture the library lady took all day
55. A full day out of bed (first since surgery)
56. UNO games
57. Sunshine and tshirts
58. Green shoots shooting up
59. A warm home, protected from the blowing snow
60. Cantaloupe with pancakes
61. Hot chocolate with real whipped cream
62. Sleeping in with my best friend
63. The chance to see Rebecca's thank you list
64. My diva cup
65. Watching blowing snow out the window
66. The Jesus who is - so much better than the Jesus I perceive.
67. Giggly girls with bouncy hair.
68. A strong arm to put my hand through as I walk icy sidewalks. .
69. Wallet found in the library book bag
70. Sleepy hugs in the early morning
71. Towels swaying on the drying rack in the blowing air from the furnace
72. God desires a relationship with me
73. Wyoming sweatshirts
74. Lego hearts
75. PBS kids
76. Sterie strips removed
77. Our small group
78. Glenn's meeting with Sasha
79. Morning kisses good bye
80. Pop corn cooked on the stovetop
81. Flat and whole wheel noodles
82. Cashier giddy about the good deals he rang up for me at Tops
83. Dry milk powder for <$1/gallon
84. Quick dentist appointments.
85. Conversation hearts conversations
86. Unexpected lunch with a ear surgery survivor
87. Little girls with bouncy curls
89. Birthday cinnamon rolls
90. Hugs from a 7 year old birthday girl
91. The smell of chili
92. Ice cream cake
93. Friends for supper
94. Telephone chat with my grandma
96. A leaf in my table and an extra table besides filled with people
97. Our ultimate treasure - Jesus - nothing is worth keeping more than having Him
98. We are God's treasure
99. Visits with neighbors we rarely see because of hibernation.
100. Thanksgiving always precedes the miracle.
101. Rain boots sloshing in slush
102. Packing removed from my ear
103. $170 ear drops that I only had to pay $6 for
104. Baby chicks in my hands
105. The chicken feed is always better in the cage next door
106. Lydia in her glory with all those chicks
107. Free extra Crunchwrap Supreme from Taco Bell - Glenn's lunch for tomorrow. We offered to pay for it but they said it was OK, it was their mistake
108. Sun shining on this lion-y day
109. Getting through all our school cards today.
110. Storybooks on the girls' bed
114. Combed out hair with no snarles.
115. Golden grilled cheese with ham
116. Wandering Wegmans alone
117. A place to park
118. A chair party between the dining room and living room
119. $34 of savings at Wegmans.
120. Wegmans carries chipotle flavored Tabasco sauce and I got it for $1 off :)
121. Swept floors
122. Toss Your Cookies and Bananagrams
123. Chicken wing pizza
124. 18" of snow which gave us an opportunity to meet a couple neighbors, help people, and get some fresh air
125. White as snow, white as snow though my sins were as scarlet
126. Lydia's delight at reading color words, "I didn't know if I was supposed to read them but I decided to just spit them out."
127. Skin on skin
129. Hot water
130. The story of a homeless man quoting Romans 7-8 to a bunch of teenagers on a corner in Toronto.
131. Broken bread, poured out wine in memory of my Beloved Savior's sacrifice for me
132. God hears my prayers
133. Sweet arms that hug and lips that kiss
135. Birthday letters 10, 8, 7, 5
136. God, the Creator of all things
137. An invitation to be a part of an intimate group of homeschoolers that meet on Tuesdays
138. Oatmeal bread smeared with real butter
139. Celebrating finishing unit 6 with Chinese takeout
140. Snuggling on a Saturday morning
141. Rain boots
142. 150 pounds of produce!!
143. Chatting with Bethany
144. Christmas trees and bags of leaves everywhere!
145. Jesus paid it all
146. Lunch at Sasha and Sarah's with Michael, Jonathan, and Bill
147. Movie night as a family watching Hook
148. Free books from kindle
149. God's provision even though we're car-less for a while.
151. Snuggling a newborn
152. Bunches of little girls playing Pollies
153. Pink dessert dishes from my grandma's house
154. Dishes cleaned by my little man
155. Sleeping in on spring break
156. We got our car back for <$1000
157. Skipping girls
158. A walk around Green Lake
159. Leaf pockets in melting ice
162. Cute older couple walking arm in arm around Green Lake
163. "helping" the water flow into the lake with sticks
164. Peanuts, rolls, steak, huge chicken fingers, sweet potatoes all cooked and brought to our table and cleaned up after and $25 toward the bill from Grandma and Grandpa Reynolds
165. Bright colors
166. Stop action videos and a funny commentary on Abigail faces in pictures
167. People may actually read my blog
168. Lots of silliness with the kids while daddy has been home.
169. Sunshiney day at the zoo
170. Defecating animals and that I don't have to do that out in public with people watching
171. Leftover steak, onions, and mushrooms
172. Momma Patas monkey and her growing baby
173. Fun with cameras
174. Brad, Melissa, Kaylee, Coen & Rain came for supper
175. My Toothless Wonder lost another top tooth
176. Barbeque chips
177. Sunshine through the trees
178. Guard rails
179. Wegmans subs
180. Shiny combed out hair
181. My kids usually stay dry all night
183. Free underwear
184. Inspiring stories of people who live with less
185. How He loves us
186. "Everyone is lost and at the same time, everyone is loved."
188. A new start for a new week
189. Little flowers and for sale signs popping up everywhere - it must be spring
190. Quick dentist appointments
191. No one walked into our house (that we can tell) when the door was left open while we were gone.
192. Eating some Living Food with the kids after lunch
193. A chance to pray with our small group for the people in our neighborhood
194. Our friends are moving to be neighbors with friends of ours
195. This list which makes me stop to look at what God has done
196. Apple crisp
197. Kids enjoying the cozi calendar
198. Kitties rubbing on my legs
199. Book loving kids
200. Margin is free on kindle!
And the list goes on. God is so gracious and I am learning to be so thankful.