Friday, November 02, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Living in one town from the time I was born until I was married at age 21 gave me some pretty deep roots there. I know a lot of people. They watched me grow up, had relationships with my parents, invested in my life and I invested in theirs.

My kids, on the other hand, have lived in 5 different towns (6 for the oldest one). The longest they have lived anywhere is just shy of 3 years. They have made roots in each of those places but none of them are very deep and they have been uprooted often, which is painful.

We have another move soon, another uprooting and transplanting. It will be good but it will also be painful. Our next move is going to be a critical one. Our oldest will turn 13 there and live there until he is 16 or 17. He'll learn to drive there and make life changing friendships. The girls too are at life shaping ages. My kids may not have the same adults in their life their whole growing up years like I did but one thing I long for in every home and especially in our next home is other adults that love and speak truth into my children like I had growing up. There are adults who are now my facebook friends who made a huge impact on who I have become through those critical years that my children will be living where ever we live for residency. I am praying that God will bring those kind of people, great role models, people who will point them to the true source of life, for my kids as we go and check out possible future homes in the next month.

My kids can't make deep roots in any location because we move so often but I don't really want them to have deep roots in a location. I long for their roots, and my roots, to be rooted and grounded in the love of Christ. With our roots constantly growing deeper into Him our moves will still hurt but with each one we know that our master Gardener knows best where we should be.

 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Eph3:16-19

Linking up with The Gypsy Mama. Join me?
Five Minute Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!