Friday, September 28, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Grasp

It may be because I have been in 1 Peter 2:1-12 this week but the first picture that came to mind at the word grasp was a baby reaching out and grabbing a finger and grasping it. Holding it tight. Not letting go. I remember the wonder I had as a young child at a baby's ability to hold on tight when I would help out in the nursery at church. "Can you see this? She is so strong!! She won't let go!!"

What do I grasp for? So many things. Too often all the wrong things...comfort, ease, quiet, pleasure- me, me, me.

How I long to grasp for the things that God wants me to grasp... God's Word, His will, Christ-likeness. "As newborn babies desire the sincere milk of the Word so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord."

This morning while reflecting on how to apply the truths, commands, and promises of 1 Peter 2:1-12 I wrote: "I need to put aside my fleshly lusts that wage war inside of me (v11): malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy, slander (v1). Lord, I can't do this on my own - I'm thankful that You are building me up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood (v5) through Your Word (v2). May I always hunger after it like a baby hungers after milk. May I wake up like a baby starving to be fed from Your Word! Thank You for choosing me as a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation (v9), thank You for making me a people, for giving me mercy (v10) but all of this isn't about me. It's about Your bigger purpose - so that I may proclaim Your excellency - You who have called me "out of darkness into His marvelous light" (v9)! As a result of being immersed in Your Word and allowing it to conform me You will overflow in me so that my behavior "among the Gentiles" will be so excellent that, even when they try to find a reason to slander me they will see my good deeds and glorify God in the day of visitation (v12). I love that quote in "point to ponder" - "True evangelism is the overflow of Him in me." Oh God, please overflow in me today!"

I want to grasp God like that baby in the nursery grasped my finger... and not let go so that others may know Him.

 Linking up with Gypsy Mama today for Five Minute Friday. Join me?

Five Minute Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!