Friday, July 19, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Belong

It is hard to feel like you belong when you move a lot. It's lonely.

The other day when I was working in the kitchen I was thinking of the theme song from "Cheers." It says something about "Sometimes you  just want to be where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came."

It takes a while to get there. When you move to a new place, a new state no one knows your name. No one cares if you came or not.

I think that is why we ended up at the church that we are going to. We first went there for a marriage conference back in April. Since we were new to the area and didn't know what to do with our kids we got special permission to put them in the child care for church members. When we went there for an actual church service a week later we heard, "The Maases are here!" shouted from across the room by the associate children's minister. It felt so good to hear that, especially for the kids. (OK, you're right, especially for their momma.) We had been in transition and so hadn't really had a place to call home since mid-January (or early November depending on how you figure it). It sure felt good to have someone who knew our name and who was glad that we came so we kept coming back. (Thanks Phillip)

I need to create that sense of belonging in people. I know that there are lonely people all around me who feel like they don't belong, like they don't fit in. I need to look at them and open my heart and my home to them. I need to be Jesus to them. He knows our names. He is always glad we came.

STOP

OK... now that you've read my 5 minute post on "Belong" click here to stop over at Lisa Jo's to read Ann's. Now. It is so good!

Linking up for Five Minute Friday. Will you join me?
Five Minute Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!