Saturday, February 07, 2009

6 Years in Glory

Today my Mom gets to celebrate 6 years in Glory! I know that time means nothing in Heaven but I am celebrating for her down here. I spent my quiet time this morning reading some of her favorite scriptures and singing some of her favorite songs and praying and thanking God for the legacy that He gave me in her.  I count it a privilege that one of the most vivid memories of my mom are of her sitting in the chair in the corner of her room every morning praying and reading her Bible. How I long to pass that legacy on to my children and my children's children. After I finished my quiet time I dug out our picture tote to look through some of them and found a few pictures to scan into our computer. Our scanner was causing me problems so I quit but I may scan a few more later - Glenn is usually the scanner person. I am making a album on Facebook of my pictures and here is a link to it.

It was fun to go through the pictures and review some fun memories. So many fun times at WOL, old family shots, etc. I love the ones of her holding Caleb. She loved being a grandma so much! It really wasn't in my plans to have a baby 11 months after we got married but how thankful I am that we did and that mom had a chance to be a grandma to Caleb. How thankful I am for pictures, even if they don't scan so well.

One hymn that meant a lot reading through it this morning was "O That Will Be Glory." It says "When all my labors and trials are o'er, And I am safe on that beautiful shore, Just to be near the dear Lord I adore Will through the ages be glory for me. O that will be glory for me, glory for me, glory for me, When by His grace I will look on His face, that will be glory, be glory for me." It made me smile. My Mom's life had a lot of trials. She had Lupus since 1975, I think. That is a long time to deal with such an awful disease but she handled it so well. I know that there was not a day that she was not in pain but you would never know it if you interacted with her. She almost always had a smile on her face and a song in her heart. Her trials are o'er and she is safe on that beautiful shore with our wonderful Lord that she so completely adored. I am sure that it is glory for her!

I loved sitting next to my mom in church because we would sing parts. She would sing alto and I would sing soprano and sometimes we would look at each other and smile, especially when we sang songs that we particularly liked or had fun singing. I can still hear her singing the harmony in my head as I sing some songs. One song that I loved to hear her sing was "My Hope is in the Lord." It was her class song at Houghton and she loved it. If you are familiar with the song the chorus has parts and she always sang both of them. I am going to put the words to that song at the end of my blog but before I do I just want to challenge you who are reading this to put your hope in the Lord. If you want to know more about what that means please ask me. I know that my mom would tell you with me that it is so worth it. 

My Hope is in the Lord
by Norman J Clayton

My hope is in the Lord
Who gave Himself for me
And paid the price
Of all my sin at Calvary

For me He died;
For me He lives,
And everlasting life
And light He freely gives.

No merit of my own
His anger to suppress
My only hope is found 
In Jesus' righteousness.

And now for me He stands
Before the Father's throne
He shows His wounded hands
And names me as His own.

His grace has planned it all
Tis mine but to believe
And recognize His work of love
And Christ receive. 

I love you Mom and miss you and look forward to that day that is coming soon when the roll is called up yonder and I'll be there too. 


1 comment:

  1. Sonja-
    Your mother has obviously left you a great legacy... and I'm gonna say that you are keeping with her legacy in being a prayer warrior. Thank you so much for all of your prayers for my mom. She is doing well and hoping to go home from the hospital tomorrow - and Lord willing I will see her in May. Thank you for sharing these memories and I'm sure your mom is smiling down from heaven as she sees her legacy carried on through you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!