Friday, August 08, 2008

A Thief in the Day

Well, we had a new experience yesterday. We are staying at our friends Brian and Kristina's house until Glenn gets his application done and gets a new job (hopefully 2 months or less). We were out front pulling weeds while Glenn worked on his essay in the front yard for a little while. While we were out there someone walked into the house, walked upstairs, took our cell phones, and Brian and Kristina's laptop in Glenn's Timbuktu messenger bag and then left taking Glenn's $300 mountain bike. I remember seeing a bright green bike out of the corner of my eye while we were pulling weeds but, though I have never really seen another one that color before, it never would have crossed my mind that it would be Glenn's because we were in the front yard! We borrowed the neighbor's phone and called the police and Verizon to cancel our phones and the bank to put a stop on our debit card because I don't remember putting it where it was in my purse. 

I feel so violated and insecure but there are so many things to be thankful for:
* It is just stuff. 
* The kids didn't go into the house to go to the bathroom while the thief was inside.
* So much more could have been taken... Kristina's wedding rings, our cameras, passports, so many other things.
* Caleb - "No one went inside while he was stealing."
* Brian and Kristina were really frustrated with their computer and wanted to buy a new one... I just feel really bad about all the information and pictures that was on it that can't be replaced.
* We all hope to work overseas someday and know that we will be stolen from there, this is just training grounds.

Last night when we were putting the kids to bed we were reading the one year Bible for kids. The passage was from Luke 12:35-48. We laughed after reading vs. 39 "Understand this: If a homeowner knew exactly when a burglar was coming, he would not permit his house to be broken into." Oh, how fitting it is to read the Word of God. He always has something for us. The passage goes on in verse 40 "You also must be ready all the time, for the Son of Man will come when least expected."  We were further challenged in the last couple of verses "And a servant who knows what the master wants, but isn't prepared and doesn't carry out those instructions, will be severely punished. But someone who does not know, and then does something wrong, will be punished only lightly. When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much even more will be required."

Yes, I wasn't ready yesterday for a thief. If I would have known I would have locked the door and the garage when we were in the front yard. (Brian and Kristina have both told us that they would never have locked them up while they were in the front yard though so they say we didn't do anything wrong.) How much more important it is to be ready for Christ's return. He will come like a thief in the night (which never meant anything to me until yesterday). The little devotional after the Bible reading said, "Jesus' disciples were to be ready for his return. Jesus told them that he would be coming again soon. But no one would know when. So they would have to be ready at all times. Being ready means obeying Jesus' commands and serving him daily by helping and loving others. Everyone needs to be ready. Continue to obey and serve him. If you do, when Jesus comes, you'll be ready."

I feel insecure in so many ways but I know that God is in control and He loves me. I own nothing, it is all on loan to me from God. I am struggling with being disconnected from Glenn. We've had 2 cell phones for almost 2 years and before that for almost 2 years we had 1 and a land line. Now I don't even have any idea how to contact him at work if I need him and he has no way to contact me besides email. I trust that he got to work today OK on his other bike but he hasn't emailed so I don't know. The 3 mile trip took about 15 minutes last time. He is in God's hands and that is where I will have to leave him and trust our God.  I got out our hymn book because it is such a comfort and went straight to It Is Well with My Soul because of this video that we watched in church recently: 
"When peace, like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll; whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'
"Though Satan should buffet, tho trials should come, Let this blest assurance control, That Christ has regarded my helpless estate, And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
"My sin - O the bliss of this glorious thought, My sin - not in part but the whole, Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul.
"And, Lord haste the day when the faith shall be sight, the clouds be rolled back as a scroll, The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend, 'Even so' - it is well with my soul.
"It is well with my soul, it is well, it is well with my soul."

I love that hymn and it has always meant even more knowing the story behind it. I love hearing my kids sing it. God is good. I can trust Him. He knows our needs and He will take care of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!