Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

We started a Thanksgiving tradition in recent years. For years we have made hand turkeys (it's fun to see how the kids' hands have grown) and list or draw pictures of what we are thankful. Later on we think over the last year and come up with the number of things that we are thankful for equal to the number of years that we have been alive. We usually jot them down as we travel to and from where ever we have Thanksgiving dinner to give us some fun memory lane time in the car. This year we went to my cousin Crystal's house for dinner on Thanksgiving then we went on to Rochester to spend the night, played with Chris and Miranda's kids in the morning while they worked, then went over to Brad and Karen's house for their Thanksgiving dinner (Karen had to work on Thanksgiving) with their family and a few of their friends.

Anyway, here are our lists for 2011 that we came up with along the way. They are not in any particular order and they are not necessarily the things that we are most thankful for but here they are.

Abigail (she got excited and went on and on but I made her stop at 6 because she is *almost* 6 "2 days to my birthday!!"
1. I met great grandma Maas
2. We got 2 skateboards
3. My friends & family
4. Legos
5. God
6. Train trip

Lydia
1. My scooter
2. The skate boards
3. The Barbies
4. The train trip
5. My family
6. Our trip to South Carolina
7. Legos

Hannah
1. School
2. Friends
3. Family
4. Legos
5. A house to live in
6. The color bag that I got for my birthday
7. Went to visit Uncle Russ, Aunt Camy & Malachi
8. We went on a train trip for 2 weeks!
9. I got a whole bunch of beads

Caleb
1. I has lots and lots and lots of sleepovers
2. Lots of vacations
3. We have Legos
4. My family
5. My friends
6. I got to go to a cool aquarium & cool museums with the Baers
7. We get to see the Files
8. Lots of playdates
9. I'm still homeschooled
10. I could spend a lot of time w/ Grandma & Grandpa Maas
11. I could finally meet great grandma Maas

Glenn
1. Jesus - salvation He gave on the cross
2. Sonja LeeAnn Maas- for all her love and support and that she is my best friend
3. Caleb Josiah Maas - how he protects his sisters and is a good kid
4. Hannah Elizabeth Maas - she's a good mommy and has a tender heart
5. Lydia Esther and her tender heart and funny ideas
6. Abigail Eve , my silly Cracker who makes me smile and laugh
7. Passed Step 1
8. Passed 2nd year of medical school
9. Passed medicine and peds rotations
10. A place to stay and didn't have to move
11. Good neighbors upstairs
12. Our date at Winter Weekend and being able to go to the Olympic Complex Lake Placid
13. I could fly out to California and G&G Reynolds paid for it.  Spent our 12th anniversary with my wife.  Went to my grandma's 90th birthday party.  A G9 for $125 for an anniversary present for my wife
14. 100 road bike off craigslist
15. A new wardrobe mostly from thrift stores or at thrift store prices
16. Camping trip to Indian lake
17. We could meet the Winklers
18. Lord willing getting a stipend and housing for RMED
19. Legos - good deal on craigslist for them
20. God is in control of my life
21. We could go to Wyoming for Christmas
22. We could go down to Charleston and see Russ and Camy
23. I'm still enjoying medical school
24. Date nights with Sonja
25. I'm getting stronger and I can do pull ups
26. I got to go to the Flash Bus tour in Buffalo
27.  My lemon/lime tree off the side of the road
28. My drafting table,  my bowling alley table, & The Hoosier cheap off craigslist
29. That home schooling is going well for Sonja and the kids
30. That so far my clerkships have allowed me time at home.
31. For all of God's provisions above and beyond our needs and so many of our wants

Sonja
1. God's grace
2. Glenn's love and support - he's my best friend
3. Glenn is in medical school and doing well
4. Homeschooling is going well with my 6th, 4th, 2nd & 1st grader students.
5. Spent Christmas in Wyoming w/ Glenn's family
6. We didn't have to move this summer
7. Good new neighbors upstairs
8. God's faithful and super-abundant provision
9. My Hoosier that I use to store my homeschool stuff
10. The chance to borrow curriculum both last year and this year from friends
11. Neighborhood Youth Rec Program at SU - free gymnastics, soccer, basketball, zumba & yoga for the kids -free PE
12. Caleb - he's a good big brother
13. Hannah - she's made lot of progress in reading this year and is a good helper
14. Lydia - her creative imagination
15. Abigail - she makes me laugh
16. Our routine with school this year - it's going so much better!
17. Flute choir
18. Homeschooling friends
19. Our trip to South Carolina to visit Russ, Camy & Malachi and see their new house
20. Imagine RIT
21. Train trip west with Steve & Debbie. Got to see so much of our beautiful country pass by out the window and met up with Steph & Brody, Kendra, Doug & Jack (note to future Amtrak travellers: Julie lies)
22. Fine reunion in Iowa. Met many "Fine cousins," went swimming, had cream can dinner, and visited with Grandma & Grandpa Reynolds and Aunt Billie
23. Went to Grandma Maas's 90th birthday party in California, enjoyed many beaches, stayed on a yacht, saw/ met Maas relatives, ate at In-N-Out
24. Wandered Chicago on our layover on the trip home, went to a Lego store and ate deep dish pizza
25. Swam in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans this summer
26. Monthly visits to Waterloo to see Grandma & Grandpa Nelson
27. Missio Church and pastors that constantly step on my toes and have a passion and vision to reach Syracuse for Christ
28. Northridge Church now has full service videos online
29. Our neighborhood. It's the friendliest place to live. I would never live anywhere else in Syracuse but the westcott neighborhood
30. We didn't buy a house. God really new best on that one!
31. It's looking like we are moving to Montour Falls in the spring for RMED and God is providing housing and a scholarship through them
32. One Thousand Gifts
33. My brain, AKA my iPhone that I don't use as a phone. It has helped me organize my life in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting!